If you’re a sweet and savoury lover, then this jalapeno corn dip combination is for you! This flavorful street corn dip is creamy and has a bit of a kick. It’s also super easy to make and the perfect finger food for snacking at cookouts or sharing during the game.
This creamy jalapeno corn dip with cream cheese tastes great dipped with tortilla chips, and is made with sweet canned corn, spicy jalapenos, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, fresh green onion, and a few spices.
Reasons you’ll love this jalapeno corn dip
- EASY: This Mexican corn dip recipe will be ready to go in just a few simple steps and can even be prepped in advance and baked the next day if preferred.
- BALANCED: This jalapeno corn dip recipe is the perfect balance of sweet, spicy, and salty, and it also has a smooth and creamy texture with the perfect amount of crunch from the corn and fresh jalapenos.
- VERSATILE: Mouth-watering dips like a loaded baked potato dip recipe, imitation crab dip, or even a cheese dip for nachos recipe, as well as this delicious corn dip recipe, are super popular for sharing at dinner parties, game nights, and summer barbeques.
Ingredients you’ll need
- CHEESE: This recipe uses three types of cheese: one 8 oz package of softened cream cheese and a ½ cup each of sharp/old cheddar and pepper jack/monterey jack cheese.
- SOUR CREAM: For a slightly tangy flavor and to thin out the dip, ¼ cup of sour cream is added.
- SPICES: To give this dip a burst of flavor, we add ½ teaspoon of cayenne, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- SALT & PEPPER: To enhance the ingredients and flavor of the dip, add ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- CORN: Corn is one of the main ingredients in this recipe and adds a slightly sweet flavor to the dip. You will need two 12 oz cans of drained corn.
- JALAPENOS: We use 2-3 chopped jalapeños for some heat and crunchy texture. Depending on your desired spice level, feel free to use more or less and keep or remove the seeds.
- FRESH GREEN ONION: Add 2 tablespoons of chopped green onions for more onion flavor and freshness.
- CHIPS: This recipe uses blue corn tortilla chips, but any tortilla chip will do!
Main kitchen tools that will help you
- ELECTRIC MIXER: To easily mix the cream cheese with the sour cream and make it smooth and easy to work with once the other ingredients are combined.
- KNIFE: For chopping the jalapenos and green onion.
- CUTTING BOARD: For safely chopping the ingredients.
- CHEESE GRATER: For shredding the cheese.
- CAN OPENER: For opening the cans of corn.
- STRAINER/COLANDER: For draining the liquid from the corn.
- MIXING BOWL: For combining and mixing all of the dip ingredients.
- DIP TRAY/SERVING DISH: For baking the dip, use a baking dish that's generally the size of a loaf pan (9x5) and make sure it's oven safe!
- MEASURING SPOONS AND CUPS: For measuring the ingredients.
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Mix: In a bowl, mix the softened cream cheese and sour cream using an electric mixer on high speed until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic, and onion powder and mix on low until incorporated.
- Combine: Fold in the corn, jalapenos, green onion, and only ¼ cup each of the pepper jack and cheddar cheese. Mix using a spoon until combined.
- Bake: Scoop the dip into a serving dish and top with the remaining pepper jack and cheddar cheese. Bake the dip uncovered on the middle rack for 30-40 minutes until the cheese fully melts.
- Serve: Give the dip a few minutes to rest once removed from the oven, and serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Control the heat of the dip. If you like spice, then 2-3 jalapenos will be enough. If you aren’t so keen on spice, then you can use just 1 or half of 1 jalapeno and remove the seeds from the inside.
- Soften the cream cheese. There are several ways to soften the cream cheese quickly, and it’s so worth it. Leave the cream cheese on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours or heat it in the microwave in 10-second intervals until soft.
Once the dip is room temperature, you can either transfer it to an airtight container or cover it in plastic wrap or tin foil and store it in the fridge.
The corn dip will last for up to 5 days covered in the fridge.
Corn dip goes great with tortilla chips, but you can choose to serve it with any type of chip or cracker!
- Avocado: Try adding some mashed avocado to this dip. It will add some freshness, a rich texture, and a decadent flavor.
- Black Beans: Swap a can of corn for a can of drained and rinsed black beans. They will add an incredibly creamy texture and a rich and earthy flavor to this jalapeno corn dip.
- Fresh Cilantro: Add some chopped cilantro to the dip or use it as a garnish. It will add a burst of fresh and earthy flavor and complement the other ingredients really well.