This quick and easy green onion dip with cream cheese is super creamy, made with a few simple ingredients, and perfect for sharing on any occasion! If you’re looking for more mouth-watering chip dips, try our creamy jalapeno corn dip, loaded baked potato dip recipe, or popular imitation crab dip to get started!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- PERFECT FOR SHARING: Whether it’s Super Bowl Sunday, movie night, or you’re having guests over, this party dip will be a hit! Try our cheese dip for nachos or cream cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon if you want more shareable snacks and finger foods.
- VERSATILITY: You can dip into this delicious homemade green onion dip mix with chips or veggies, and it’ll be equally as delicious!
- EASY: With just a few simple ingredients mixed in one bowl, this creamy dip with green onions is easy to make and sure to impress your guests.
- CREAM CHEESE: This recipe uses full-fat Philidelphia cream cheese, so it's extra thick and creamy. It also adds a tangy flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients in the dip.
- SOUR CREAM: 14% sour cream is used in this recipe and helps thin out the thickness of the cream cheese so it's easier to dip into.
- LEMON: Fresh lemon juice is included in this recipe for a fresh flavor that pairs well with the green onion and adds some acidity to cut the thickness of the dip.
- SALT & PEPPER: A sprinkle of salt and pepper enhances the overall flavor of the green onion dip.
- GARLIC: Minced garlic adds a lot of flavor to the chip dip.
- GREEN ONION: Fresh green onion makes this onion dip super flavorful, fresh, and delicious.
- CHIPS & VEGGIES: For dipping! Potato chips and vegetables like carrots, celery, and cucumber all taste delicious dipped in this dip.
See the recipe card below for the ingredient measurements.
- BOWLS: You will need one mixing bowl to make this dip and another bowl for serving your guests.
- KNIFE: For chopping the green onion and micing the garlic. Alternatively, you can use a cheese grater to shred the garlic finely.
- ELECTRIC HAND MIXER: You will want to use an electric hand mixer to mix the dip ingredients because it’ll be much easier than using a spoon!
- MEASURING SPOONS AND CUPS: For measuring the ingredients.
- Mix: To a mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese and sour cream and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic and mix again, this time on low. Fold in the green onion with a rubber spatula.
- Serve: Transfer the dip mixture to a serving bowl and serve with potato chips or veggies such as carrots and celery sticks.
Storage and Leftovers
Store the dip covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Soften the cream cheese. Mixing the dip and making it super creamy will be much easier using room-temperature cream cheese.
- Thin out the dip. If you find the dip too thick for dipping, add some extra lemon juice and or sour cream.
- Save time. Make this green onion dip with sour cream the day or night before. You can cover it with plastic wrap, pop it in the fridge, and transfer it to a serving bowl to serve the next day.
- Greek Yogurt: If you’d like to make this dip healthier, lighten it by swapping the sour cream for Greek yogurt.
- Parsley: For extra flavor and freshness, consider adding fresh parsley to the dip or as a garnish.
- Chives: For a milder flavor, you can swap the green onion with chives instead.
The alternative ingredients are just suggestions and have not been tested.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can serve the dip with potato chips, crackers, and or vegetables like carrots, celery, cucumber, etc.
You can make the dip the day before to save time and give the dip time to intensify its flavors!
Your dip may have some chunks in it if the cream cheese isn’t soft enough.
Yes, if you’re looking for a healthier and lighter dip option, feel free to swap the sour cream for Greek yogurt instead but keep in mind that the flavor will be slightly different.
- Jalapeno Corn Dip
- Redneck Caviar
- Spicy 5 Ingredient Guac Recipe
- Cheese Dip for Nachos Recipe
- Loaded Baked Potato Dip Recipe
- Imitation Crab Dip
- Mango Habanero Salsa