A delicious yet, healthy dip recipe, you say? That’s right. This redneck caviar recipe is full of nutrients and packed with flavorful ingredients, and it makes for the perfect outdoor barbeque or summer fiesta!
This tasty redneck caviar dip recipe is full of color and made with fresh ingredients like peppers, tomatoes, onion, corn and cilantro. It’s also high in protein from the beans and has a super zesty flavor from the garlic and lime dressing.
Reasons you’ll love this redneck caviar recipe
- EASY: This tex-mex dip can be simply made by combining all the ingredients in one bowl, which means fewer dishes and less mess in your kitchen!
- HEALTHY: It’s not often you come across a healthy dip that’s super addicting…right? You can completely indulge in this recipe without guilt because it’s packed with nutrition and protein from fresh vegetables and some hearty beans.
- VERSATILE: Who gets excited when they see dips at a party like a cheesy jalapeno corn dip, a loaded baked potato dip recipe, an imitation crab dip, or maybe even a cheese dip for nachos recipe? I think just about everyone, so add this cowboy caviar dip to your list of favorites because this one’s a hit, especially at summer cookouts and dinner parties.
Ingredients you’ll need
- PEPPERS: This recipe uses 1 chopped red bell pepper and 1 minced jalapeno for a crunchy texture.
- TOMATO: 1 diced tomato is all you need for some acidity and juiciness.
- ONION: Half a red onion diced will give this dip a crisp bite and strong flavor.
- CORN: 1 can of corn (12 oz) drained, adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the dish to balance out some of the other ingredient flavors.
- BEANS: 1 can of rinsed and drained black beans and 1 can of black-eyed peas (both 15 oz) make this texas caviar super hearty and full of protein.
- FRESH HERBS: This recipe uses fresh cilantro to add a lot of freshness to this dip; however, not everyone loves cilantro, and we get that, so if that’s you, try using fresh parsley instead!
- LIME: The juice of 1 whole lime gives this dip a refreshing, sweet and sour punch.
- GARLIC: 1 freshly shredded garlic clove makes this dip seriously mouth watering.
- OLIVE OIL: 3 tablespoons of olive oil will help coat all the ingredients in the dip and keep it from drying out.
- VINEGAR: 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar will provide a bold, robust, tangy yet sweet flavor to the dip.
- SALT: To enhance the flavor of the dip, 1 teaspoon of salt is all you need.
- CHIPS: This dip tastes great served with tortilla chips.
Kitchen tools that will help you
- KNIFE: For chopping the fresh ingredients.
- CUTTING BOARD: For safely chopping the ingredients.
- COLANDER/CHEESE GRATER: For shredding the garlic (you can also mince it with a knife if preferred).
- CAN OPENER: For opening the cans of corn and beans.
- STRAINER/COLANDER: For draining the liquid from the corn and beans.
- JUICER: For squeezing the juice from the lime (you can also cut the lime in half and squeeze the lime with your hands).
- MIXING BOWL: For combining and mixing all of the dip ingredients (you can also do this right in your serving bowl).
- DIP TRAY/SERVING DISH: For serving the redneck caviar dip.
- MEASURING SPOONS AND CUPS: For measuring the ingredients.
- Combine: In a bowl, combine and mix the ingredients.
- Serve: Transfer the dip to a serving dish and serve it with tortilla chips.
- Remove the jalapeno seeds. There is only 1 jalapeno in this recipe, so it won’t add too much heat, however, you can reduce the heat more by removing the jalapeno seeds, which is where the heat comes from.
- Opt out of the cilantro. If you aren’t a fan of cilantro, you can replace it with parsley, which tastes just as good!
- Make it ahead. This dip tastes great the day it’s made but arguably better the next few days. Making it ahead gives the ingredients time to marinate and become much more flavorful!
It can be served as an appetizer with sturdy chips, like tortilla chips, for dipping.
Store it covered or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Substitutes and Additions
- Avocado: This will give the dip a deliciously rich flavor and creamy texture. Wait until you serve the dip to add this ingredient, as it may brown if added too early.
- Parsley: If you aren’t a huge fan of cilantro, then try parsley instead! It will still give the dip a fresh herb flavor and an amazing aroma.
- Cheese: Cause who doesn’t love cheese…on everything? Try adding some cubbed mozzarella chunks to the dip to make it even more hearty and flavorful.