Looking to make a mouth watering imitation crab dip for your guests? You can make this creamy imitation crab dip in 10 minutes without breaking the bank using just a few simple ingredients. For more delicious and shareable dip recipes, check out our popular loaded baked potato dip, creamy jalapeno corn dip, and our addicting cheese dip for nachos recipe.
This cold and creamy imitation crab dip combines cream cheese and mayonnaise with fresh ingredients like green onion and the juice from a lemon mixed with spices like garlic and onion powder folded in with imitation crab meat for a savoury dip full of seafood flavor.
Reasons you’ll love this imitation crab dip recipe
- EASY: This imitation crab dip recipe includes just a few simple steps and can be made in one single bowl!
- QUICK: Unlike baked dip recipes like a loaded baked potato dip recipe or a stovetop dip recipe like a savoury cheese dip for nachos recipe, this cold crab dip recipe requires no cooking time and will be ready in about 10 minutes in just two steps! We have some more cold dip recipes, like our redneck caviar and mango habanero salsa which are also worth checking out if you're looking for something quick and easy!
- INEXPENSIVE: Using imitation crab meat tastes amazing in this dip with a riveting seafood flavor and is much more affordable than real crab.
Ingredients you’ll need
- CREAM CHEESE: The Philadelphia cream cheese is the base of the dip and makes it super creamy. You will need 8 oz softened.
- MAYONAISE: The mayo helps thin out the thick texture of the softened cream cheese and adds a slightly tangy flavor. You will need ⅓ cup.
- SPICES: Cayenne, onion, and garlic powder is all you need for the perfect combination of spices for this crab dip. We also add some old bay seasoning, but this is optional! Use ¼ teaspoon each of garlic and onion powder and 1 teaspoon each of cayenne and old bay seasoning. If you don’t use the old bay seasoning, use ¾ teaspoon each of the onion and garlic powder instead of ¼ teaspoon.
- LEMON: The juice of a real lemon adds the perfect amount of acidity to cut through the heavy cream cheese and adds a bright, refreshing flavor to the dip. You will need 2 tablespoons.
- CRAB: This recipe uses imitation crab because it’s tasty, easy to use, and affordable! There are different types of imitation crab, like chunks, flakes, sticks and shreds, and any will work! 1 pack (227 grams/8 oz) is all you need.
- GREEN ONION: Fresh green onion adds a crunch to this rather creamy dip and a burst of flavor. You will need 3 tablespoons of green onion chopped into small pieces.
- SALT: To elevate the delicious flavours of the ingredients, you should add ¼ teaspoon.
- CRACKERS: You need these to serve with the dip! Ritz crackers go great with this crab dip, but feel free to use your favorite crackers too!
Main kitchen tools that will help you
- ELECTRIC MIXER: An electric mixer will make it easy to smooth out the cream cheese at the beginning, so it’s easy to stir in and incorporate the other ingredients.
- MIXING BOWL: One medium-sized bowl is all you need to make this imitation crab dip recipe!
- SHARP KNIFE: For chopping the green onion and the crab.
- CITRUS JUICER: For squeezing the lemon to get the juice. You can also just cut a lemon in half and use your hands to squeeze out the lemon juice.
- MEASURING SPOONS AND CUPS: For measuring and adding the ingredients.
- Mix: In a medium-sized bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to mix the cream cheese until smooth. Add the mayonnaise, spices, lemon juice and salt and mix again, this time on low speed. Fold in the imitation crab dip and green onion with a rubber spatula or a spoon.
- Serve: Add the imitation crab dip to a serving bowl and serve with crackers!
- Soften the cream cheese. This will make it easy to combine with the other ingredients. There are many ways on how to soften cream cheese quickly for smoother cooking, and our favourite is to use the microwave!
- Choose fresh ingredients. This crab dip tastes 10 x better when you throw in some fresh ingredients like the juice from a real lemon instead of bottled lemon juice and use freshly cut chives instead of dried chives.
- Serve with thick crackers. This dip is on the thicker side, so using a thicker cracker like Ritz will make it easy for you and your guest to dip into this delicious crab dip!
To soften cream cheese, remove the wrapper and place it on a microwave-safe plate and microwave in 10-15 second intervals until you can easily press down on it with your finger.
You should use a thicker cracker for this imitation crab dip recipe because the dip is cold and thick. A great option is Ritz crackers, but you can choose whichever thicker cracker you love!
To thicken this crab dip, you can add more cream cheese or less mayo. Alternatively, if you’d like to thin out the crab dip and make it less thick, add a couple of tablespoons of extra mayo.
Store the leftover crab dip covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Shrimp: try using some cooked and chopped shrimp instead of crab. The shrimp has a similar texture and still gives you that delicious seafood flavor you want in a crab dip. Don’t forget to remove any shells or tails from the shrimp before combining them with the other ingredients.
- Artichoke hearts: this is a great alternative for vegetarians by removing the meat and using artichoke hearts instead. Chop the artichoke hearts into small pieces and combine them with the other ingredients.
- Salmon: Use salmon to replace the crab meat for a more luxurious dip. Canned salmon would work great in a dip like this!