It’s the time of year everyone craves a delicious apple crisp recipe with oats. This apple crisp is the perfect fall dessert to satisfy those cravings.
This best apple crisp recipe that offers a warm bite of soft apples tossed in cinnamon sugar, topped with a crunchy bite of sweet oat crisp and a scoop of French vanilla ice cream.
Why make this?
- Easy: This recipe is super simple with its few ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen, and the steps to make this recipe can’t be any easier!
- Taste: Every bite of this apple crisp is a bite of fall. There are so many classic fall desserts that everyone looks forward to every year, and this is one of them. Pumpkin spice coffee cake, pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting, pumpkin spice snickerdoodles, from scratch pumpkin pie recipe, pumpkin twists, and pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls are all just as classic; you have to try them out!
- APPLES: Granny smith apples are the best apples for apple crisp and most commonly used in apple crisp recipes, however any apples will work! This recipe uses granny smith apples.
- GROUND CINNAMON: For that delicious spice that pairs perfectly with apples.
- GRANULATED AND BROWN SUGAR: To sweeten things up!
- VANILLA EXTRACT: For a hint of vanilla.
- LEMON: To prevent the browning of the apples and add brightness to the flavour.
- QUICK OATS: For the base of the crisp topping.
- FLOUR: All-purpose flour is used in this recipe.
- BUTTER: To make the topping crumble and crisp in the oven.
- SALT: To enhance the flavour.
- ICE CREAM: Cause you would be missing out if you didn't top with ice cream! This recipe uses French Vanilla Ice Cream.
- BAKING DISH: A 9x13 baking dish will work perfectly for this recipe.
- MIXING BOWLS: For combining the ingredients.
- MEASURING SPOONS AND CUPS: For measuring the ingredients.
- KNIFE AND CUTTING BOARD: For cutting the apples.
- POTATO PEELER: For peeling the apples.
- Prepare: Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter or spray.
- Mix: Add the apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Stir all of the ingredients in the bowl to fully coat each apple slice and transfer the mixture to your baking dish.
- Combine: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix: Add the melted butter and mix with the other ingredients using a fork or your hands until a crumbly texture forms.
- Bake: Sprinkle the crumbly topping mixture on the sliced apples and bake for 1 hour uncovered on the middle rack.
- Rest: Wait 10-15 minutes before scooping.
- Serve: Serve topped with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream (optional).
- Cover the apple crisp for the final 15 minutes of baking. This allows the apples to continue to bake and soften without the crisp burning. The cover should be on loosely where heat can escape so the crisp doesn’t become soggy.
- Peel the apples. You may decide not to peel the apples; it certainly saves time. However, if you peel the apples, you get rid of the skin that can sometimes be tough to chew.
- Use your hands when combining the softened butter with the other ingredients. It can be gross to get your hands full of butter, sugar and spices, but its so much easier and will give a more even, crumbly texture.
- Allow the apple crisp to cool down a bit before slicing and serving. This will give the apple crisp the time it needs to build its structure and not be a runny liquid.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cover the baking dish with tinfoil or plastic wrap and store in your fridge for up to 1 week.
To keep apples fresh its highly recommended to refrigerate them.
Cut a slice of apple crisp and place in the microwave on a plate for 40 to 60 seconds.