Just when you thought rice krispie squares couldn’t get any easier...you microwave them.
These 5-minute rice krispies are made with extra marshmallows for an extra chewy, gooey bite.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick: This recipe takes 5 minutes to make! Using your microwave really speeds up the process. No heating up any pans and waiting for your marshmallows to melt!
- Easy: This recipe is very easy to make, requires only 4 ingredients, and will be made in a few easy steps.
- Nostalgic: Don’t rice krispies just bring you back? Who didn’t grow up with these tasty treats? They are such a classic!
- KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES CEREAL: For the rice krispies of course!!
- MINIATURE MARSHMALLOWS: For that sticky, chewy, gooey texture we all love.
- BUTTER: For structure and flavour.
- VANILLA EXTRACT: For that little hint of vanilla to balance everything out.
- RECTANGULAR OR SQUARE PAN: an 8-inch x 8-inch square pan or 9 x 13 rectangular pan will work for this recipe.
- MICROWAVABLE BOWL: For combining the ingredients.
- MEASURING SPOONS AND CUPS: For measuring the ingredients.
- SPATULA: For scraping the rice krispie mixture out of the bowl and into the pan.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the marshmallows and butter.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and rice krispie cereal.
- Scoop and evenly press the rice krispie mixture into a buttered or oil-sprayed pan.
- Allow to cool slightly, cut, and serve.
- To easily press the rice krispie mixture into your pan without it stringing all over, add a little bit of water to your spatula.
- For chewier rice krispies, add more marshmallows!! Standard rice krispie recipes use 5 cups.. this one uses 8 cups.
- Make colourful rice krispies using food colouring. This is especially a great idea for special occasions! Think valentines day, the fourth of July, Canada day, and so many more fun holidays!
Frequently Asked Questions
This will happen if too much butter is added.
To fully harden, 20-30 minutes.
Store in an air-tight container in room temperature or the fridge for up to 1 week.
Yes, freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. If you are stacking them on top of each other, place a piece of parchment paper in between them so they don’t stick!